Skip to content Skip to navigation
Vassar
Skip to global navigation Menu

Vassar Encyclopedia

An online work in progress under the direction of Vassar's College Historian

Calisthenium and Riding Academy (Avery Hall, Vogelstein Center for Drama and Film)

The Calisthenium and Riding Academy (1866) John A. Wood As Vassar has expanded over its long history from a single, all-inclusive building to a campus of over 100 specialized structures—classroom buildings, residences, laboratory and recital spaces, libraries—it has demolished only two significant structures: Silliman and Farnsworth’s Vassar Brothers Laboratory (1880-1938) and Renwick’s entrance lodge (1865-1914). […]